Making time for deeper reflection and working with oracle systems are two main tools that have helped me find more peace, get unstuck, and quickly create the changes I crave in all areas of my life. Full moons (and also new moons) are an especially powerful time to pause, go within, and gain the insight that will catalyze that peace, forward movement, and change you so deeply desire.
So each month at the full moon, I consult my favorite oracle system (the I Ching) on your behalf and ask, "What do we need to know about the current moon energy AND How can we best use it to move more powerfully along our path, and manifest what we desire most in our lives?"
This month the I Ching answers us with hexagram #27, "NOURISHING".
Major energetic shifts are going on all around you right now. Besides today's full moon, Mercury went direct yesterday, which means the chaos and intense emotions you may have felt over the past month will soon start to settle. We're also shifting seasons which means the fiery, fast-paced energy of summer is dying down, as the the slower more grounded energy of fall sets in.
The message for you now is: As you adjust to these external energetic shifts, it's especially important to NOURISH yourself at this time! This self-nourishment is what will help you make the transition with grace (rather than crash landing into the new season and energetic frequency).
Also remember you're made up of a BODY, MIND, and SPIRIT. So it's not enough to just nourish your body. You've got to care for all three parts of your being.
Another important aspect of "NOURISHING" to consider right now has to do with your relationships, because you also gain or lose nourishment from them. Specifically look at HOW you nourish others, and WHO you're choosing to nourish right now.
If a relationship is sapping your energy or you aren't getting what you need or want from someone right now, consider the following two things.
- Take a look at the quality of what you're giving to others. Do you offer inspiration or discouragement? Are you trying to be helpful or are you constantly being argumentative, judgmental, and defensive? The I Ching says, "The correct nourishing of those close to you is vital to your sense of well-being, for such supportive activity will ultimately come back to you in kind."
- Take a look at who you're choosing to nourish or give your energy to. Make sure that you're only giving your energy to those who are worthy of it. The I Ching says, "If you nourish people who are worthy and who will provide nourishment back to you and others, you will achieve great effects [in your life and the world]." But if you consistently nourish those who are unworthy of your support, you'll drain yourself and simply waste energy that would be better spent elsewhere.
Need help knowing who's worthy of your energy and nourishment? The I Ching has a tip for that too. Take a look at how others nourish themselves. Observe their character traits and habits.
If the above message resonates with you, and you know you're struggling when it comes to proper nourishment of yourself and others, here's a reflection practice that'll help you gain the clarity you need to get back on track this month. Take 10-15 minutes to do it now, or create space for it in your schedule sometime this week.
Find a quiet place you can sit comfortably, and take a few moments to ground yourself (try some mindful breathing).
When you feel calm and grounded, ask yourself the following questions. Optionally, you can journal on these questions too. And trust that your inner wise woman (or man) has the answers.
- BODY: What does my body need this month to feel fully nourished? What habits do I need to release that are blocking my body from feeling nourished? Am I giving my body enough rest through proper sleep?
- MIND: What does my mind need this month to feel fully nourished? What habits do I need to release that are blocking my mind from feeling fully nourished? (ie. negative thoughts; negative self-talk; etc.) Am I giving my mind enough rest by staying present with mindfulness?
- SPIRIT: What does my spirit need this month to feel fully nourished? Am I taking enough time to regularly disengage from my mind and connect with my spirit, through moments of mindfulness and reflection?
- OTHER PEOPLE: Am I nourishing others with inspiration and positivity? Are those I'm nourishing even worthy of my energy? Who in my life is serving as an "energy vampire", constantly taking much more than they give in return? And how can I adjust the relationship so it feels more nourishing and balanced?
I was speaking to energy healer Sweta Iyer last night, and she mentioned a period after mercury retrograde called the "mercury retrograde shadow period". We are now in this shadow period (for about two weeks), and it's a really powerful time to implement change in your life. Those new habits you've had a hard time implementing during mercury retrograde, will feel much easier to embrace over the next two weeks during this shadow period.
So take look at your insights from the reflection above, and get to work! Don't waste this precious time!