Making time for deeper reflection and working with oracle systems are two of the main tools that have helped me find more peace, and continue to grow quickly to create the change I crave in all areas of my life. Full moons (and new moons) are an especially powerful time to pause, go within, and gain insight, that will get you closer to your desires.
Each month at the full moon, I consult my favorite oracle system (the I Ching) and ask, "How can we can best use the current energies to move more powerfully along our path, and manifest what we desire most in our lives, right now?"
This month the I Ching answers us with hexagram #38, "OPPOSITION".
The message this month is a reminder that the world we live in, is a world of DUALITY. So while it may be human nature to seek what's "good" and brings you pleasure, the "bad", painful, uncomfortable, and challenging moments are also just as natural. The ancient Chinese yin-yang symbol has represented this concept of opposition and duality for thousands of years.
And not only are painful occurrences natural, but the opposition or dance between pleasure and pain is a very necessary one for your growth and the creation of your deepest desires.
Sure following your joy is a lovely path towards creating your dreams, but this month you're reminded that challenges, negative-feedback, and mistakes also guide you towards the creation of your dreams. And the more you can accept and embrace this as a natural and beneficial part of life, the more peace you'll experience and the faster you'll manifest your deepest desires.
Take a moment and think of one of your biggest lessons or times of growth, that you feel grateful for now. My bet is that it didn't follow a very peaceful or pleasurable moment of your life, but rather came after something painful and challenging. That is the natural power of opposition at work!
So during this full moon phase, you have the enhanced ability to fully understand, embody, and utilize this powerful universal truth of "Opposition", for great change in your life right now.
So what does this "opposition" look like?
In order to use this power of opposition that we're speaking of here, it's important to know what it actually looks like on a day to day basis. Opposition will simply show up as anything that takes you away from your desired state of peace and comfort, into a more uncomfortable or painful state. This discomfort can be emotional (like anger, anxiety, fear, guilt, etc.), or it can be physical pain. Or it can simply be less defined as a general state of discontent or stuckness.
And, how can you work with this "opposition" to get breakthroughs and growth?
- First, Pause and acknowledge the opposition is there: Do this by silently naming it when you notice it. You can be specific and say "anger", "fear", "guilt", etc. Or you can simply say "pain" or "opposition".
- Recognize the discomfort as guidance and lean into it. So often when we feel any sort of discomfort, we want to immediately numb it with something. We seek distractions in tv, alcohol, shopping, or other pleasure-inducing activities. To really uncover the growth opportunity through opposition, you've got to have the courage and strength to sit with and lean into your pain.
- Notice if you're making yourself a victim and shift it: Victim mindset can show up as you blaming someone or something else for your pain. Or it'll show up as you sitting in self-pity and feeling sorry for yourself. Staying stuck in victim mode will simply prolong the pain and keep you from finding the lesson in it, and moving forward.
- Uncover the hidden growth opportunity in your pain or difficult situation. Do this by reflecting on one of the following questions, or come up with your own. Note: this may take some time and may unfold slowly over the next couple weeks of this waning moon. Just keep coming back to these questions until you gain some insight.
- "What is the hidden lesson or growth opportunity in this?"
- "What does this pain make possible for me, that wasn't possible before?"
- "How have I been feeding my own pain and keeping myself stuck? And how can I now stop and move forward towards the change I crave?"
- Relax, trust, and have faith in the process
One of my favorite quotes sums up what's possible when you really learn how to use the power of "opposition" in your life.
Let me know in the comments below, how you're using the power of "Opposition" to create a breakthrough in your life during this full moon period!